2017 was a really good year for me reading-wise! I didn’t really have many goals for myself, just to read 50 books. I set a goodreads goal of 50 books at the start of the year, and I’m really happy that I was able to reach it!
In 2017, I was able to read 53 books! My average rating was 3.8.
The pie chart below shows that I read predominantly young adult contemporary, followed by thriller/mystery/crime, romance, classics, young adult fantasy, adult contemporary, and literary fiction. I am not surprised by this, as I always feel like I am reading a lot of young adult novels.
Every Book I Read
Here are all of the books that I read in the past year and what I rated each of them.
1. The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
Date Read: 4 Jan 2017 Rating: 4/5
- I loved the premise and all of creepy details!
- I HATED the ending (everything else was great).
2. Done Dirt Cheap by Sarah Nicole Lemon
Date Read: 9 Jan 2017 Rating: 3/5
- The first e-ARC I ever read!
- Unfortunately, I thought it was forgettable.
3. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
Date Read: 14 Jan 2017 Rating: 4/5
- This book was very unputdownable!
- The twist KILLED me.
4. The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman
Date Read: 20 Jan 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A very beautiful story.
- The writing was perfect.
5. The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
Date Read: 24 Jan 2017 Rating: 2/5
- Um…NOTHING happened in this book?
- I DNFed it.
6. Ragdoll by Daniel Cole
Date Read: 31 Jan 2017 Rating: 3/5
- This book made me realise I don’t like reading crime.
- This premise was good and I get why crime lovers would like it.
7. Maybe, Someday by Colleen Hoover
Date Read: 11 Feb 2017 Rating: 3.5/5
- A cute romance!
- The twist was less exciting compared to Hoover’s other books.
8. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Date Read: 20 Feb 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A light, easy read.
- Not as good as I’ll Give You the Sun.
9. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Date Read: 28 Feb 2017 Rating: 5/5
- Well-written and very interesting (albeit disgusting).
- Looking back, I’m like, why did I read this?
10. The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers
Date Read: 7 Mar 2017 Rating: 3/5
- I read to read this for an assignment.
11. The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
Date Read: 13 Mar 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Creative and memorable characters!
- The husband’s secret was quite predictable.
12. Flowers In the Attic by V. C. Andrews
Date Read: 20 Mar 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A book that is difficult to tear your eyes away from!
- The characters made me so ANGRY!
13. Strawberry Summer by Melissa Brayden
Date Read: 24 Mar 2017 Rating: 4.5/5
- A very cute romance!
- The setting was great to visualise.
14. November 9 by Colleen Hoover
Date Read: 29 Mar 2017 Rating: 4/5
- The premise was so fun.
- The twist made me angry.
15. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
Date Read: 2 Apr 2017 Rating: 5/5
- Loved the characters!
- It used my favourite trope of hate-to-love.
16. Do Not Become Alarmed by Malie Maloy
Date Read: 7 Apr 2017 Rating: 3/5
- SO MANY characters.
- It was vaguely gripping.
17. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- The BEST Moriarty book.
- The characters made this book so enjoyable to read.
19. Future Leaders of Nowhere by Emily O’Beirne
Date Read: 23 Apr 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Really fun camp vibes!
- A cute romance.
20. Zenn Diagram by Wendy Brant
Date Read: 27 Apr 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Main character with a special power.
- The romance was also realistic!
21. The Breakdown by B. A. Paris
Date Read: 3 May 2017 Rating: 3.5/5
- A semi-interesting thriller plot.
- The twist was unexpected.
22. Roses of May by Dot Hutchison
Date Read: 18 May 2017 Rating: 2/5
- Sequel to the amazing The Butterfly Garden.
- This one fell flat unfortunately!
23. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Date Read: 26 May 2017 Rating: 5/5
- Fantastic portrayal of Black Lives Matter movement!
- Starr’s family and friends were perfect.
24. The Secret Place by Tana French
Date Read: 5 Jun 2017 Rating: 3/5
- Great writing.
- The plot was uninteresting.
25. Geekerella by Ashley Poston
Date Read: 14 Jun 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Great retelling of Cinderella!
- I loved Elle and Darian
26. Hush Little Baby by Joanna Barnard
Date Read: 18 Jun 2017 Rating: 2.5/5
- A very forgettable book.
- Too much backstory.
27. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
Date Read: 24 Jun 2017 Rating: 3/5
- A creative title and premise.
- Slow and boring.
28. Harlequin’s Riddle by Rachel Nightingale
Date Read: 30 Jun 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A unique fantasy book.
- I liked the interactions between the characters.
29. I See You by Clare McKintosh
Date Read: 8 Jul 2017 Rating: 5/5
- A really thrilling book!
- I had a great time reading it.
30. Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
Date Read: 15 Jul 2017 Rating: 3.5/5
- Like always with Moriarty, her characters were great.
- I was let down by what happened at the barbecue.
31. Feel Me Fall by James Morris
Date Read: 19 Jul 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A really easy, enjoyable read.
- So many unexpected twists!
32. Misery by Stephen King
Date Read: 24 Jul 2017 Rating: 3.5/5
- My first King book.
- The premise was great.
33. One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
Date Read: 29 Jul 2017 Rating: 4/5
- I enjoyed reading about each of the character’s lives.
- The plot was good but the twist was obvious.
34. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Date Read: 5 Aug 2017 Rating: 5/5
- Very loveable characters!
- Touching and moving.
35. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Date Read: 15 Aug 2017 Rating: 4/5
- An interesting gothic story!
- I loved the main character.
36. The Wife Project by Graeme Simsion
Date Read: 17 Aug 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A hilarious story.
- I liked that it was sort of parodying romance stories.
37. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Date Read: 22 Aug 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Quick, cute read.
- (I high-key hate the title.)
38. The Dry by Jane Harper
Date Read: 4 Sep 2017 Rating: 3/5
- I couldn’t get into this story.
- The setting was cool.
39. Because You Love to Hate Me by various authors
Date Read: 14 Sep 2017 Rating: 3/5
- Some stories were good but most were boring.
- I skipped the pieces from the booktubers.
40. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Date Read: 22 Sep 2017 Rating: 4.5/5
- The world in this book was scary!
- It was a very eye-opening read.
41. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
Date Read: 30 Sep 2017 Rating: 3/5
- Baz and Simon were a great couple.
- I didn’t mind the Harry Potter references but overall it was poorly written.
42. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
Date Read: 13 Oct 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Good portrayal of mental health.
- I really enjoyed reading it!
43. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Date Read: 14 Oct 2017 Rating: 2/5
- Too cheesy and unoriginal for my tastes.
- I liked the representation but it was just so hard to read!
44. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
Date Read: 15 Oct 2017 Rating: 4/5
- My first (and only) audiobook read!
- It had a captivating premise.
45. Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden
Date Read: 28 Oct 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Cute romance story for its time.
- Reallllly badly written.
46. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Date Read: 30 Oct 2017 Rating: 3.5/5
- Fascinating and gruesome story.
- Just kind of slow.
47. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Date Read: 9 Nov 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Creepy and cool gothic story.
- Struggled to hold my interest.
48. The Confession by Jo Spain
Date Read: 16 Nov 2017 Rating: 2/5
- Not enough intrigue and suspense.
- I didn’t enjoy reading it.
49. Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
Date Read: 25 Nov 2017 Rating: 4.5/5
- A story with an admirable protagonist.
- I loved the feeling I got at the end.
50. Meet Your Match by Lindzee Armstrong
Date Read: 26 Nov 2017 Rating: 4/5
- A nice and quick novella.
- Cute and fluffy.
51. Let It Snow by various authors
Date Read: 9 Dec 2017 Rating: 4/5
- Three enjoyable Christmassy stories.
- The Jubilee Express was my favourite.
52. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
Date Read: 12 Dec 2017 Rating: 4/5
- The plot was so fun to read.
- I also really loved the romance.
53. Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson
Date Read: 27 Dec 2017 Rating: 4.5/5
- Wonderful writing and a thought-out plot.
- The main character was very relatable to me and I loved her love interest!
HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR’S!