I am on a two-month break from university in June and July and thought it would be a great opportunity to get some writing done. I love writing, and my uni course is even called Professional Writing and Editing. But during the uni semesters I always write for assessments rather than my enjoyment. Some of my assessments are fun, like for one class called Novel Writing I got to plan a novel and write the first chapter. Sometimes, though, the assessments are boring and hard, so I don’t have the motivation to write for fun.
In June I decided to do a lot of writing. I found a story I wrote almost two years ago and even though the writing was very bad, I thought the idea was still okay. So I re-wrote what I had written and continued on with the story.
Here is all of the writing that I did in June, which I documented daily:
- 4 June: Found the old story and read it. Cringed a lot.
- 5 June: Decided to edit and re-write it. The first chapter was only 1,100 words long so I quickly re-wrote it. I also added another 1,200 words to the chapter. Total: 2,312.
- 6 June: I wrote a lot more today! Somehow I wrote 3,591 words. That’s way more than I usually can write in a day. Total: 5,903.
- 7 June: I didn’t feel like writing much today. In the evening I started at about 9pm and managed to write 636. Total: 6,530.
- 8 June: I wrote some more today. I think I started at around 7:30pm and wrote until 11pm, which is late for me. I wrote 1,542 words. Total: 8,089.
- 9 June: Today I wrote 855 words. Total: 9,032.
- 10 June: I was not able to write much today, but still got 445 words done. Total: 9,458.
- 11 June: Today I wrote 887 words. I’ve hit 10,000 words! Total: 10,351.
- 12-16 June: I wrote NOTHING on these days. My motivation left me and took a vacation.
- 17 June: My motivation came back and I wrote 1,259 words in about three hours. Total: 11,590.
- 18 June: Today I wrote 1,910 words. Total: 13,524.
- 19 June: I only wrote 630 words today. Total: 14,207.
- 20 June: I wrote 1,115 words. Total: 15,335. For some reason I also felt like writing a short story and also wrote 639 words of that.
- 21 June: I felt as though my story sucked for most of the day but still managed to write 1,401 words. Total: 16,686.
- 22 June: I was only able to write 661 words today. Total: 17,260.
- 23 June: Today I wrote 899 words. Total: 18,291.
- 24 June: 736 words written. Total: 19,029.
- 25 June: 1,098 words written. I did something weird and decided to start writing in a different point of view (third person). I was writing in first person in the beginning but realised I just prefer third person. I don’t know if I should change the rest but I probably won’t bother just yet. Also, I’ve reached 20,000 words, yay! Total: 20,130.
- 26 June: Just 658 words today. Total: 20,813.
- 27 June: 343 words written. Total: 21,159.
- 28 June: 728 words. Total: 21,883.
- 29 June: Nothing.
- 30 June: 719 words. Total: 22,602.
So in my month of writing I managed to write 22,602 words. My average per day (excluding the days I didn’t write) was 1,189 words. So if I continue this, and have a goal of reaching around 80,000 words, I should write the first draft in approximately 67 days. I think it is achievable, but I do tend to take breaks sometimes. I am sure I will hate it when I finish anyway.
- Are you working on a writing project right now?
- I’m going to try to continue again in July!
Thanks for reading! I am currently on a cruise, so if you leave a comment I might not see it for a while, but I will definitely respond to it eventually!